Friday, July 21, 2006

The bull has arrived

Another short post: Photos here are of the Dinka with their cows, a view of a typical road in Yei. Being a driver here is considered a great talent - to able to navigate the floods, holes, hills, valleys and everchanging roadscape. The lone bull in the picture is the one. He doesn't realize that he will feed many people tomorrow. I looked out of my hut after hearing some strange sounds and i said to myself (excuse the language that goes on in my head): "There's a fucken' bull outside my hut." I repeated that a few times until i realized that this was the bull we were waiting for - the one who will be slaughtered in our honor tomorrow. I'm trying not to get too close to the bull and develop an emotional attachment. I really want to tell him to run for his life. Growing up in Brooklyn, meat came from the supermarket or the butcher - neatly packaged and bearing no resesmblence to the actual animal. The fact that the meat came from a live animal was an abstract concept to me. If I needed anything to take me from the abstract to the concrete, this bull, along with the chickens they have been killing and cooking - oh yeah and the goat the other night..........will do it for me. Yes, i finally understand where meat comes from. Other photos are from the kitchen of an Ethiopian "restuarant" we went to yesterday. And finally a photo of a sign warning of mines.

The photos are not loading for some reason...i will try one at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home